Before turning our attention to the best orbital sanders of 2019, let all of us agree on one idea: it’s very hard finding a quality orbital sander.
Or is it?
To be honest with you, it isn’t. That is if you know what features to expect when buying an electric motor sander. If you have a knowhow of features, the sander will give away minimum dust, while producing a smooth surface.
Don’t know what those features are? No worries. For, there is a reason we are here.
In this article, we are going to review the ten best orbital sanders. Thanks to their random orbital motion, these sanders won’t leave a mark behind. Consequently, the surface on which you operate them will be flawless.
Want something more from this article? Again, no worries.
After sander reviews, we will look towards the orbital sander buying guide. Hence,whether you like the products or not, you can learn a thing or two from the buying guide.
Feel satisfied with the deal? Scroll down.
Best Orbital Sander 2019
Talking about the top rated orbital sanders: all of them have one thing in common: they produce minimum dust. Hence, whether you select electric sanders from here or buy from the market, they will be easy to operate. Still, if you select your product from thelist of the top 10 random orbital sanders of 2019 mentioned below, quality is guaranteed.
|Product Image||Product Name||Infomation||Details|
|Dewalt D26451K Random Orbit Sander||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Bosch R0S20VSK Random Orbit Sander||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Makita B05031K Random Orbit Sander||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|BDERO100 Black & Decker Random Orbit Sander||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|D26453K Dewalt Random Orbit Sander||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|ROS20VSC Bosch Random Orbit Sander||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|7424XP Porter Cable Variable Speed Polisher||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|7346SP Porter Cable Polishing Pad Plus Random Orbit Sander||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|BDEQS300 Black + Decker||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
|BO5041K Makita Random Orbital Sander||Weight|
|Buy on Amazon|
Whether you want a lightweight sander – or are looking for a heavy duty one, the table has got you covered. Similar is the cause with pad size in which this table gives you numerous options. Still, we recommend reading the product reviews before making your choice.
Take a look.
One of the more popular products coming out from Dewalt, the D26451K model has got all the features to become a darling of woodworkers. That said, it has got some shortcomings too, but first, let’s take a look at its high points.
First thing first, compatibility with different discs and sandpapers isn’t an issue if you use this random orbital sander. Thanks to its 5’’ 8-hole hook, changing a disc is very easy with this sander.
In fact, if you utilize the already mentioned hook and loop method, you’ll be able to change the disc in a few minutes.
Secondly, this sander provides only one grip – the standard one on its back side. While this might be a negative point to some, Dewalt compensates for this shortcoming by equipping this sander with an anti-slip top. It makes the sander’s body easy to hold.
Thirdly, if you are weary of dust – and want a sander which supports vacuum adapter, the D26451K Sander provides just that. For, in addition to the dust bag, it is equipped with a Vacuum Adapter, making it magnet for collecting dust.
Fourthly, if you want your sander to produce minimum gouging, this sander – thanks to the controllable speed of its pad, will give you just that
Finally, as we have already talked about the importance of a sealed switch, this sander provides you just that. Hence, you can operate in a dusty environment with no danger of the switch getting jammed.
There is one problem users have identified with this model. They complain that it doesn’t offer variable speeds. So you need to be doubly careful while purchasing this model that it would suit your needs.
Whether you are a professional woodworker – or do sanding for fun, this model has got all the traits to be a success.
If there is one brand which rivals – and sometimes moves ahead Dewalt in popularity, it is Bosch. A world renowned brand, it is known for churning out great products in this genre. Thankfully, you can include this product in that category of useful products.
The first thing various woodworkers demand of their sander is to build quality. For, they know that even if the sander lacks on other counts – which this model doesn’t, a good build quality can compensate. Thankfully, carrying forward the Bosch tradition, the build quality of this model is excellent.
On seeing this model, you’ll notice a hard-plastic shell covering both the gearbox and the motor housing. Even on close inspection, you will not be able to find any ill-fitting seems. Hence, if you want a sander which feels like a brick – albeit a lightweight one,choose this model.
As for the grip, there is nothing to worry here, either. Being a huge, rubber encapsulated knob, it has been positioned in such a manner not to disturb your fingers when you may be sanding against a cabinet wall.
More importantly, this sander offers variable speed motor. Varying from 7500 – 12000rpm, you can change the motor speed to match the task at hand.
Moving forward towards dust collection,and this is the area where Bosch has displayed its innovation. It has ditched the cloth bag filter which you can find on most random orbital sanders.However, this sander has gone for a canister filter. Being more adequate, it will suck the dust from around you without breaking a sweat.
That said, there is a problem with this canister filter you need to know.While adequate for smaller tasks, it would clog too quickly on the larger ones. Hence, you might not be able to move forward without cleaning it after every few minutes.
Finally, one thing which I liked the most about this product was the range of accessories available with the product. While other brands charge extra, Bosch has delivered extra accessories – like the multi-diameter connecting hose, alongside its product for free.
One complaint which most users have about this product is the smaller width of the orbit. It means that the orbit of the sander wasn’t wide enough to what they wanted this sander to do.
Although his product doesn’t have many shortcomings, it is not fit for heavy duty tasks. However, if your task at hand is anything but heavy duty, this sander will merit your money.
Though not as famous as the abovementioned brands, this sander has got one thing to attract your attention: low price. Add to it the plethora of features, and you might get a good value for money by choosing it.
Starting from the plus points, and one thing which ensures the longevity of this product is the pad control system.
For, most sanders malfunction when you don’t take care while starting them. However, due to thepad control system,this sander automatically controls its pad speed on starting. So, you don’t have to worry about it.
Another feature which makes this sander an attractive product to have is the dust sealed switch.Usually a feature in the high-end models, Makita has taken the lead over its bigger rivals by coming up with this feature.
However, if you think that switch is the only part of this sander which is sealed, you cannot be more wrong. For, this model also contains sealed ball bearings. Add to it their oversized appearance, and you have a durable model in your hands.
Also, if you are worried whether the speed of your sander will meet the task at hand, the variable speed control should allay your fears. For, whether it is a heat generating surface like acrylic – or a head resistant one like hardwood, the variable speed option will come handy.
Looking at the grip,and the rubberized palm doesn’t put a foot wrong. Also, the construction of handle is such that your hand would get minimum vibrations off the sander.
Many users have complained about the dust collection system. They feel that while it is capable, you have to replace it every few minutes to keep going on.
If you do not want to spend over the odds for a quality product, this model merits your attention. Having said that, it has some shortcomings, so be patient to live with them.
There are some products out there which are good. Then there are others which are great. Still, there is a third category which is best sellers. The BDERO100 falls into the third category of random orbital sanders.
With sanders, there’s one activity you cannot avoid: changing paper. Depending on the material on which you are working – and the finish you want, changing papers is essential.
Hence, if you want to save time while sanding, you need to save time while changing papers. Thankfully, the BDERO100 allows you to do just that. With its hook and loop system, you can change the paper in as little as 5 seconds.
As for the grip, it makes this unit comfortable and easy to hold. Being non-slippery, it gives you the freedom to work comfortably. Hence, whether you are working on doors, tables or huge cabinets, you won’t have any problem holding the sander.
To look how it deals with dust, two features of the BDERO100 deserve attention. First of them is the sealed switch. Shielding the switch from any external interference, it makes sure that you have no worries when working in a dusty environment.
Secondly, while most other sanders go for standard filter sanders, this one has gone hybrid. As a result, not only does the sander removes more dust in less time, but it also does it efficiently.
Finally, if you want a great overall feel while holding a sander, you need the BDERO100.Equipped with an ergonomic design, this model will aid your hand crampswhile you hold it for long periods. More importantly, even if you drop the sander, its outer casing is such that it won’t be affected one bit.
When reviewing this sander, users have identified two problems with it. Firstly, they opined that the large gritty sandpaper could be sometimes rough as to remove paint from the wood. Secondly, they deemed it as not an aggressive enough sander. Other than that, this sander has got no major problems.
If you are looking for a sander to do your household chores, this #1 Best Seller on Amazon is worth a buy.
Being the second Dewalt Sander of this review, this one is the pricier. But does it worth the extra money? We find out in the next section.
On picking up this sander for the first time,the first thing you are bound to notice is its size. For, when compared with other models,it is one of the larger 5’’ sanders in the market. Sadly, the grip didn’t do justice to its size.
The grip is in shape of a rubber patch at the center of the handle.While there is nothing wrong with its positioning,it is the width of the grip which does the damage. For, it is too small to provide an adequate cover to the surface held by your hands.
Moving on, apart from the grip the build quality of this sander is commendable. Thanks to its heavy weight – or you can say because of it, Dewalt equipped this sander with a heavy cooling fan and motor. Both of them combine brilliantly to provide adequate downward pressure while you are sanding.
As for the cord, it has generous 8ft lengths to free you from the trouble of carrying a connector lead. In addition to the length, the rubber boot which protects the area where the cord connects to the sander is also commendable. For, thanks to it, the cord will keep up and away from the sanding area.
Thankfully, to compensate for the abovementioned shortcomings, Dewalt equipped the D26453 with a variable speed option.Capable of operating between 7,000 to 12,000rpm, it allows you to use the sander both on heat generating and friction producing surfaces.
For example, while using the sander on a heat generating surface, just lower the speed. That would do the job nicely.
One major shortcoming of this sander is the quality or lack thereof, of the storage bag. Being cloth style, it does not contain any internal dividers, making it a little more than your average shopping bag. Worse, neither it is water tight not you can’t stack it. Hence, if you follow our opinion, purchase a separate storage bag if you go for the Dewalt D26453 model.
In this sander, you have a good quality, heavy duty sander from Dewalt if you can afford to purchase a separate storage bag. Still, since it is anything but cheap, there are other, better options which you can purchase for the same price.
Whether you are a finish carpenter, cabinet maker or any other woodworker, this sander would give you the results you desire. When combined with the pad orbit, the rotation of this sander delivers well-blended finish in quick time.
First of all, this sander gives you one thing which not many sanders do: multiple grip vibrations. Its top and the body have been designed in such a manner as to provide comfort during extended use. Hence, whether your work completes in an hour – or takes hours, this sander won’t cause any discomfort.
Also, despite the fact that it is lightweight, this sander vibrates less. However, if you doubt my information, you shouldn’t as it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee. Hence, you have nothing to lose by going for this sander.
As for the motor, Bosch has gone for the 2.5Amp motor. As you might recall, most other sanders in this review went for 3Amp motors.
However, the smaller size of this motor is no reason to worry as it comes with a variable speed option. Allowing you to operate the motor between 7500 and 12000rpm, you can vary the speed with a simple dial.
As for the disc attachment, Bosch has gone with the world famous Hook and Loop Disc method. Apart from it, this Bosch sander has got thousands of hooks on it. Consequently, the discs won’t be flying off when you’re concentrating on getting something done.
Finally, to suit your convenience, the sander has gone with 5’’ discs, which are a cinch to find. As for the backing pad, it is so soft that you can handle both flat surfaces contours with aplomb. While it will need replacing, the backing past should last longer than your average disc.
As we hinted earlier, this sander has a small 2.5amp motor, rendering its performance susceptible when taking high loads. Other than that, it has got no major drawbacks.
Apart from offering a plethora of useful features, this sander from Bosch comes at a low price. Hence, if you love everything Bosch, you will be impressed with the performance of this one.
If you can afford to pay over the odds for a good quality sander, only then go for this model. For, while the list of features is long, the price tag of this sander belongs to the upper spectrum. Hence, only if you have deep pockets, thengo for this sander.
If you have been paying attention, you might have noticed various models in this review aren’t heavy duty. However, in this particular product from Porter Cable, we have a model that defies odds. Standing at 4.5AMP Motor Power, it is as heavy duty as they produce in sanders.
Another thing about this handle which impressed me was the increased control. For, many random orbital sanders have only one handle to grip.
Also, this sander has got both a left and a right-handed control option. That is, if you want to have maximum control over your sander, these two control options will come handy.
More importantly, as the title of this product suggests, it is a sander plus polisher combined into one. Since you already know how its sanding side will work, let’s turn our attention to the polishing version.
Assume that you have got scratches on your car. However, you don’t want to take it to the local mechanic because hand paint will only exacerbate the problem. No problem: take this polisher out, set the speed and start swinging.
Thanks to its relatively low-speed options, it is best suited for a beginner. Also, thanks to the counterbalance option, there are very few, if any chances that things might go wrong.
Getting back to its sander side, this is the most compatible-friendly sander you might ever see. Don’t believe me? Look at its compatibility with spindle thread accessories. For, ranging from 5/16 to 24’’, this sander accepts ALL of them.
Thus, you would have to find hard and low to get an accessory which doesn’t fit this compatibility monster.
There are two major shortcomings of this product.First, despite the features it offers, the price tag is astronomically high. Thus, for those people who are only interested with sanding, they might not like to pay more for a polishing option which they won’t use.
Secondly, making it suitable only for beginners, it has a limited speed. So, if your job requires higher friction and heat, this sander may not fit the bill.
If you can afford to pay its price, you’ll be getting a heavy-duty and high-quality product in this sander.
There are two facets of this product. Firstly, as suggested by its name, it is a Sander cum Polisher. Secondly, and more importantly, it costs less than its counterpart mentioned above. If you liked the above model – but wanted it for less price (minus some features), buy this one.
Inevitably,when reviewing two similar products from the same brand, you have to highlight the areas where they differ. Thankfully, despite costing significantly less than the 7424XP, the 7346SP contains EVERY feature of its counterpart.
Hence, if you were worried about the quality – after looking at the price tag of this product, calm your nerves as there is no need to worry.
So, you might ask: what is the difference then? Well, the difference lay in the accessories which come with both these models. While the SP model provides both the polisher pad and sanding pad, the XP version provides only the polishing pad.
Also, there is another difference between both these models. For, while the 7424XP was categorized as a polisher, this one is more inclined to be a sander. Put simply, if you are not concerned with the scratches on your automobile – but want your sander to give fine finishes, this model is worthy of your attention.
For, in addition to offering the variable speed option,it has the 4.5amp motor allowing it to operate at high speeds.More importantly, since it provides two options when it comes to grip, it will give you more control, subsequently resulting in better finishes.
Although not as significant, this model has one shortcoming: the absence of hook and loop sandpaper. Instead, it has gone for the now outdated sticky backed sandpaper.
Most of the time, we are not willing to pay over the odds – even for a good quality product. If you feel like that, this model – due to its low price and high functionality, should gather your attention.
In addition to being easy to use, the BDEQS300 is the most inexpensive sander you can get in this review. Hence, if you want to get your job done with utmost ease, this sander is worthy of your attention.
First of all, the paddle activation switch will leave you in awe. Coming in two modes: compress and depress, it lets you go along with your work without having to worry about the trigger position.
For example, if your work area is large, you can activate the compress position. It will keep the sander locked as long as you don’t deactivate it. Similarly, activating the decompress position will make sure accidental trigger doesn’t set off the sander.
Talking about its design, one thing which impressed me the most was its grip. Yes, most lightweight sanders such as this have good grip. However, what surprised me was the ease with which I held this sander.
In addition to being easy to hold, it provides maximum control while you are holding it. Hence, while it is not a heavy duty sander, it provides grip which can match any of those.
As for the filtration, you may have to change it every few minutes if your task involves high dust. Still, having said that, the tri-layer supplanting the filtration will ensure a clean working surface.
Surprisingly, the major issue which users have reported about this product is the noise. It is very loud, so you might have to wear an ear guard.
If you are looking for a sander which can help you in household chores, there aren’t many sanders better yet inexpensive than the Black and Decker BDEQS300.
Once you have gone through the features of this sander, you’d come to know why Makita is so famous. Yes, it is expensive – but when you view the price tag through the prism of features, it is justified.
As is the case with high-endsanders,the BO5041K comes with a variable speed control.This option lets you adjust your sander’s speed to the task at hand. Also, if the surface is heat generating, you can lower down the speed to prevent any damage.
Secondly, if you are looking for a heavy duty sander, the BO5041K is NOT for you. For, while it may offer fast and smooth sanding, its motor stands at a meager 3.0amp. Ask woodworkers, and they’d tell you that this is not the AMP suitable for heavy duty works.
Coming back to plus points, this sander offers an adjustable front handle. For example, assume that you are sanding in corners. In such a situation, you’d need a handle which isn’t too intrusive. It is where the adjustable handle will help you.
By virtue of its adjustability, it showcases its suitability when you are sanding in confined areas and tight corners.
Thirdly, most woodworkers complain one thing about their sander’s switch: it is inconvenient. Thankfully, there are no such problems in this sander. For, the trigger switch is of a generous size, allowing you to operate it with ease.
Finally, most sanders are susceptible to damage upon startup. However, due to the pad control system – which will adjust this sander’s speed, it is safe under such circumstances.
No matter what its manufacturers say, the dust bag of this bag is not good enough. However, if you are a veteran, you might say the same for all sanders you used in the past. Here’s what you can do: buy a vacuum system compatible with this model.
Though it is a bit pricey, this model has got all the features you expect in high-end products. Consequently, while you have to pay more up front, it would give you comfort later on.
Random Orbital Sander Buying Guide
• Variable SpeedMost of the time, you’ll be sanding on a flat board. In such instances, you won’t need the variable speed feature. However, it is likely that some of you might have to work on fragile materials i.e. veneered ones. Now, if you run your sander on full speed on such materials, it will simply sand through. Consequently, you need to slow down your sander to prevent this from happening. There is another example when the variable speed option will come handy. Consider, for example, that you are working on a material which is capable of generating excess heat i.e. acrylic. If you run sander on full speed on such materials, it will simply melt down the material. So, you need to have a variable speed option on your sander.
• Trigger LockAs suggested by the name, this feature gives you the option to lock that trigger. Regardless of whether you are working on short or long board, you might find this feature useful. For example, locking down the trigger while you are working on a big surface has a huge advantage. It will ensure you don’t have to squeeze that trigger all the time while you are working. In addition to giving you comfort, the absence of intermittent stops will also increase the surface quality.
• Sander GripsThere are two types of sanders available in the market. Firstly, there are those which offer one hand grips. Secondly, you can get your hand on a two-hand grip sander. What’s the difference beyond the obvious point that the two hand grip will give you more control? We find out. Well, if you are concerned with the quality of your finish, a two hand grip will come handy. By giving you more control, it will ensure you make your sander nice and flat during the work. Having said that, there is a shortcoming to a double grip sander: it won’t let you sand against a wall. It is because of the position of the second grip – which will be on the sander’s front side. Hence, the pad won’t be able to get into inside corners. Still, you can get the control of the two handed sanders and the flexibility of its one-handed counterpart. How? Go for a sander which allows you to remove that double grip whenever you want. Yes, there are Sanders out there which, depending on your work, allow you to easily detach the front grip. Go for them.
• Vacuum Options AvailableWhen you are going to sand, you are going to make dust, one which you don’t want to inhale. For this purpose, select a sander which allows you to attach a vacuum filter. You might say: but my sander already has a filter attached to it. You are right. But, if you are working on a large sanding project, allow the vacuum filter to come to your rescue. How? Well, a vacuum filter will remove the dust away from where you are working by sucking it. As a result, you’d be safe with all the dust going into the filter. Sadly, there aren’t many sanders out there which allow you to attach a vacuum filter. It is because they think that their inbuilt filter would do the job. Still, if you want to be more careful, select a sander which has vacuum options available.
• BalancedWhat do I mean by a balanced Sander? One which won’t transfer all the vibrations to your hand. For, if the sander produces excessive vibration, it will make it less balanced. Also, in the worst case scenario, it can nudge you in the direction of Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome. Thus, while selecting a sander on your own, make sure to compare the vibration generating capability of different models. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to do that. Just plug one model, hold it, feel the vibrations, and then repeat this experiment with other models. The model producing the least amount of vibrations should merit your money.
• Sealed SwitchAlthough you might care for yourself by wearing a mask or attaching a vacuum filter, what about the switch? What if the sawdust gets into it? Well, if it does, the sawdust might affect the ON/OFF button or force the switch to malfunction. Thus, having a sander which has a sealed switch is a guarantee to its long life.
• Fast Paper ChangeIf you do frequent sanding, it is likely you’d have to change the sandpaper quite often. For those of you like me who do sanding for a hobby, they could get better results by getting a new sandpaper. No matter you belong to which category, you need a sander which allows easy paper change. There is a method most people use when replacing a sandpaper. It is known as hook and loop method. This method will allow you to attach the sandpaper without any adhesive. Hence, if your sander allows fast paper change using this method, buy it.
• Pad BrakesUnlike other sanders, random orbit sanders are not designed to operate when running off the wood. However, during sanding, we may, albeit inadvertently, raise the sander when it is running. This mistake is detrimental to the shelf life of an orbital sander. To prevent this from happening, you need a pad brake system. By limiting the top speed of the sander when it’s not in contact with the wood, it limits the damage done.
• Tracking AdjustmentThere is one thing common between all top rated random orbital sanders: their ability to provide quick tracking adjustments. Though not as important as some of the abovementioned features, this feature will make your sander convenient to operate.
• PortabilityIt goes without saying that portability is the first feature which people demand of their sander. For, no matter how good a sander is, it is useless if you can’t take it everywhere with you. For this purpose, many manufacturers selling sanders include a sander case in the package. Whether you work as a carpenter or a cabinet maker, this case will come handy. However, even if the manufacturer doesn’t include the case in the package, you need to purchase it separately. When buying a case, make sure that – in addition to accommodating your sander, it accommodates its cord as well.
• CordThereisnothing carpenters or cabinet makers love in their sanders more than a long cord. With a long cord in tow, they can operate anywhere without having to worry about an extension cord. Similarly, a good length cord will help you in getting from one end of a frame to the other.
Types of Random Orbital Sanders
• Palm GripIf you do window frame finishing – or other fine surfaces for that matter, this style is the most useful. For, in addition, to be easy to hold, itoffers more control than its counterparts. Also, thanks to their small size, they can work just as fine when you are working on narrow projects.
• Right AngleIf you want more power, this is the random orbital sander to go for. These sanders provide more power by connecting the motor directly to the sander pad. Hence, while their overall speed is lower, these sanders can be pushed harder against the wood surface without damaging it. Consequently, they are perfect for removing glue or paint.
• Large Inline SanderIf you love two-hand sanders, you will like this style. Boasting the most powerful motors, these sanders are perfect for big projects. More importantly, thanks to their variable speed option, this sander will give you maximum control over their speed.
Safety Tips When You Use Random Orbital Sanders
- Hold it firmly
- When the sander is running, don’t place it on the workbench
- Random Orbital Sanders aren’t waterproof. Treat them accordingly
- If you have wet hands, dry them before operating it.
- Make sure the area you are working in is well-ventilated to remove dust.
- To prevent sawdust from getting into your eyes, wear eye gear
- If possible, wear gloves while using a sander. They will protect your hands from excessive vibration.
- Keep the sander cord away from the way while you are using the sander.
Why the latest Bosch 1250DEVS and Festool are not on my list?When it comes to orbital sanders, the BOSCH Brand leads the market. While Festool might not be afforded that accolade, it has produced some brilliant sanders in the near past. With both these factors in mind, we decided to forego both the BOSCH 1250DEVS and Festool from our list. Why? Read on to know the reason. First, in reviewing the random orbital sanders, we were looking for a product which everybody could buy. However, as amere glance on the price tags on both these products suggests, they do not fall into that category. Rather, you need to have very deep pockets to go for them. Secondly, and more importantly, both these random orbital sanders aren’t for beginners. Rather, they are heavy duty – meaning you need to be a veteran in the field to use them. Consequently, we decided to forego these two products from our list.
Finding the best random orbital sander isn’t easy. Just like the market, the Internet is full of sanders claiming themselves to be the best in business. What you need, however, is a good range of products to choose from. Now that we have provided you exactly that, we hope your search for a quality sander is now over. Still, if you feel we missed some top quality sanders, feel free to tell us in the comments box.