A shark vacuum is an excellent addition to any home.
Although the shark manufacturer claims that it does not lose any suction power, the efficiency can reduce if the vacuum and filters are dirty. For your shark vacuum to work efficiently, you should clean it at least once a month.
It is indicated in the manual that most people ignore until there is a problem. The duty of the vacuum is to clean, and no one wants a vacuum that does not do its job.
If your vacuum is dirty, it will be less efficient than when it is clean. Blocked filters reduce the suction power significantly making you spend more time cleaning. Over time, materials wrap themselves around the rotating brush reducing the cleaning efficiency. You should ensure that it is clear at all times.
Here are signs that you need to clean your shark vacuum.
- The suction power has reduced.
- Dirt keeps being left behind during cleaning.
- It starts producing weird sounds as if it is gasping for air.
- There is an unpleasant odor coming from the vacuum.
Once you notice any of these signs, it is time to give your vacuum a thorough cleaning it needs. Once you clean it, you will enjoy having your shark vacuuming just like it did when you bought it.
How To Clean The Rotating Brush
A good place to start cleaning your vacuum is the rotating brush located under the vacuum. The rotating brush gets particles stuck on it after some time. These particles include hair and string, and once they are stuck on the brush, they reduce the cleaning power of the vacuum.
Here is how you clean it and restore the cleaning ability:
- Ensure the vacuum is unplugged before you start anything.
- Then, you should lay the vacuum on the floor and place a bag under it to prevent creating a messy heap.
- Remove any materials that are tangled in the brush like hair and string. You can use a pair of scissors to cut them making it easier to remove those materials.
- Once you have removed all the particles, your rotating brush will be good as new.
How To Clean The Dirt Container/Canister And Plastic Filters
The shark vacuum uses a bag-less system.
After cleaning, all the dirt is collected and stored in a removable plastic container to make it easier to dispose of. These parts need to be cleaned to avoid having a blocked filter system. If the filter system is blocked, you will lose suction power and vacuuming will not be efficient.
Here is how you clean the canister and plastic filters.
- Remove the canister carefully and empty the components into the trash.
- Open the dirt container to expose the filter system. Depending on the model, you might find the filters in your vacuum being made of foam rubber and others made of felt.
- Now you can carefully remove the filters and dust them by tapping them gently on the side of the trash can. When removing the filters, note the order so that you can put them back later in the same way.
- After you have removed the dirt, now you can clean them with warm soapy water or plain water if you prefer. Be extremely careful when washing felt filters as they can easily be damaged. You should note that the manufacturer does not recommend washing the felt filters since they can get damaged easily. Washing them will be at your risk.
- After you clean filters, you should rinse them and remove all traces of soap. Note that they might not return to their original white appearance and there might be some staining remaining. As long as they are not damaged, they will still work normally. After doing this, you should not return them to the vacuum yet.
- Ensure all the parts are completely dry before you put them back in the vacuum. It is advisable to dry all the parts of the filter system separately since you would not want to vacuum with a damp or wet machine. After putting them back together, you will find that your shark vacuum machine functions efficiently.
Cleaning HEPA Filters
Other than plastic filters, the vacuum also has another filter system with HEPA filters that require care. Most shark vacuums come with two sets of HEPA filters making it easier for them to be cleaned regularly. The filters need to be frequently cleaned for the proper functioning of your vacuum. If the HEPA filters are dirty, there will be a bad odor coming from the vacuum. Even the slightest smell is an indicator that the filters should be cleaned.
Here is how your HEPA filters should be cleaned.
- Remove the filters. HEPA filters are located under the dirt container of your vacuum.
- Rinse the filters thoroughly by hand. You can use a small amount of mild detergent for this. Ensure you thoroughly rinse them until they become clean.
- Squeeze excess water from the HEPA filters and let them dry. They will take a longer time to dry compared to the plastic filters.
- Since they come in two sets, you have the option of letting them dry before using them or alternating between the sets. If you want to resume vacuuming sooner, you can use the second set giving the cleaned set enough time to dry without compromising on your vacuuming.
- After you have cleaned all these parts, you will notice a change in the vacuum. There will be an increased suction power since all the filters are clean and free from any particles. Any unwanted odors will be gone since all the filters will be clean. The cleaning will also be more efficient, and you will not have to worry about having any dirt being left behind.
- After some time, the filters will wear out. When this happens, you should replace them by getting new ones. Ensure you get the correct filters for your shark vacuum model. You can even buy them in advance and keep them with you to make it easier for you to change them when they break or wear out.
Having a shark vacuum makes cleaning easier for you.
You should ensure you take care of it so that it can serve you for an extended period of time. These cleaning tips will be beneficial to you and your vacuum and will extend the lifespan of your vacuum. You will get to enjoy the “no loss of suction technology” that made you buy the shark vacuum in the first place.