Contrary to popular belief, objects made of plastic often tend to lose their color as time passes. You probably own a plastic chair or table that has become dull over time. If you want a new look for your plastic object, be it a table, chair or shelf, spray paint for plastic is the best fix.
Now, you may have heard that spray painting plastic is not possible. We’re here to reassure you that it is possible. There are, in fact, formulations of spray paints that are specifically made to be used on plastic. With the right product, you can give a new life to any plastic object.
Given that many brands of spray paint are available today, choosing the right one can become a challenge. To make your shopping experience easier, we have compiled this list of reviews of the best spray paints for plastic. With this knowledge, you can ensure the best paint results at a reasonable price for your upcoming project.
Furthermore, we believe with our buyer’s guide, both experts and novices can get the 101 they need to buy spray paints for plastics.
Top 4 Spray Paints for Plastic Compared
|Product Image||Product Name||Volume||Colors||Editor Rating||Details|
|Rust-Oleum 211338||12 oz||4||4.9/5||Buy on Amazon|
|Rust-Oleum 267116||12 oz||20||4.7/5||Buy on Amazon|
|Krylon K04293007||12 oz||20||4.5/5||Buy on Amazon|
|Krylon K08970000 SUPERMAXX||11 oz||20||4/5||Buy on Amazon|
4 Best Spray Paints for Plastic Surfaces- Product Review 2020
Do you think to find the best option for you when it comes to best spray paints for plastic a challenge? If yes, there is no need to worry as we have listed some of the best available products in the market, with all the reasons why they made to our top list.
The product comes with an impressive volume of 12 oz. With excellent coverage of 8 to 10 square-feet per can, you can do a lot more in a single go. It offers a flat finish that can add life to your plastic products. Available in four different colors, you have plenty of variety to choose from.
We believe the Rust-Oleum 211338 should be a must-have in all households that use plastic objects a lot. This spray paint is particularly created for plastic objects. Its thick and rich formula makes it perfect for covering up any flaws or damages that may have appeared over time.
This feature makes it the go-to spray paint for renovation and modification of old plastic objects. The soft-gloss finish gives the surface a balanced color, which isn’t too bright or too dull.
As mentioned earlier, this spray paint is specifically made to adhere to plastics of different kinds, such as PVC, resin, fiberglass, polypropylene, polystyrene, and vinyl. It not only bonds immediately with plastic surfaces but also spreads out evenly, resulting in a smooth and professional look.
The Rust-Oleum is convenient to use as it does not require a primer. It is also quick-drying, which means the object is good for use or a second coat after a short wait of only 20 minutes. Additionally, through its smart nozzle design, you can comfortably spray paint in directions and angles.
According to the customers, you can use the spray paint both indoors and outdoors, though we advise refraining from the former as the oil-based formula can have a strong odor. For instance, if using the spray indoors, be sure to use in an area that is properly ventilated. For further precautions, be sure to put on a mask to avoid inhaling the fumes.
Designed particularly for plastic surfaces, this spray paint is quick to dry and easy to adhere to plastic surfaces with a smooth soft-gloss finish. Given all the features of this spray paint, it comes as no surprise that the Rust-Oleum 267116 is at the top of our list.
The next on our list also comes with a volume of 12 oz, while covers 8 to 10 square-foot per can. Available in a gloss finish and 24 different colors, you have plenty of options to choose from.
The second product from Rust-Oleum on our list, model 267116 shares a lot of similarities with our previous entry. This spray paint is great for renovation and modification of plastic surfaces. Unlike Rust-Oleum 211338, this particular spray paint can adhere to different surfaces, including wood, metal, and plastic.
The Rust-Oleum is ideal for both indoor and outdoor projects. Its low odor makes it perfect for indoor use. Furthermore, its oil-based formulation produces a protective barrier on the surface of the object, making it suitable for outdoor usage as well. After a short drying period of only 20 minutes, the paint forms a glossy and long-lasting enamel finish. It is also available in a wide range of colors.
What’s more, it is specifically designed to provide the ultimate coverage. Its thick and rich formulation allows the spray paint to conceal flaws on the surface of objects. You can even paint all those hard to reach areas with Rust-Oleum 211338’s any-angle spray system. If all this isn’t enough, this spray paint also has comfort spray tips designed to avoid any finger fatigue for longer projects.
One drawback of this product is that sometimes you may need to use a primer to get the best results. As the primer does not come with the spray paint, it adds extra expense.
Rust-Oleum 2113338’s wide color range and its ability to provide full coverage with a small amount of paint make it a great buy when it comes to renovation and restoration of plastic surfaces.
Unlike the first two options, this one comes with a volume of 11 oz but covers the same 8-10 square-foot per can. Available in seven different colors and flat finish, the plastic spray is one of the best available in the market.
The Krylon Camouflage Plastic Spray Paint is a unique set of spray paints that is available in camouflage colors. It is available in woodland lime green, sand, black, olive, brown and khaki. The spray paint does not spray in camouflage colors rather the different colors can be used to create a camouflage pattern.
This spray paint can adhere well not only with plastic but also with other materials such as wood, metal, and hard vinyl. If you want an easy spray-painting experience at a reasonable price, this is the product for you. It requires no priming and provides a solid finish.
One downside of this product is that it requires a longer time to dry than is advertised on the label. It claims to dry to touch in 15 minutes, but it often takes up to an hour. You will have to wait a week for a thorough chip-resistant dry. On the plus side, once the paint is dry, it is durable and completely chip resistant.
Not only does the Krylon Camouflage offer unique camouflage colors, but it also has stencils for those who want to create camouflage patterns. It put forth an interesting offer and makes the painting process simple, that too at a reasonable price.
The last spray pain is from Krylon that offers a volume of 12 oz but covers 25 square-foot per can, the maximum coverage offered in our list. Available in a flat finish and 20 colors, you have a wide range to choose from.
The Krylon SUPERMAXX spray paint can be used on multiple surfaces as its formulation is super adhesive. On metal surfaces, it serves as rust protection, while it provides deterioration protection for wooden surfaces. It also comes with a primer so you can save time and get the job done faster.
The spray button on this spray paint is softer and more receptive to make the user experience easier. It may take an hour to dry, which is a little longer in comparison to most products on this list, but once dry this spray paint is durable and long-lasting.
A major concern with this product is quality-control. Some cans work perfectly fine, but many have a formulation that is either too runny or too thick, making the Krylon SUPERMAXX a hit or miss.
Getting this product may be a gamble, but if rust or deterioration protection is your priority when buying spray paint, then this is your go-to product.
• Selecting the Right FormulaYou need to have the right spray paint formula to ensure your desired result. You can generally choose between the following formulae:
• Getting the Right Finish:Paint finish can make a huge difference in the final look of your plastic surfaces. Take a run through the types of paint finish to figure out which one fits best for your upcoming project.
- Flat (Matte):
- High Gloss:
• Paint QualityDurability is an important factor to consider when buying spray paints for plastic. Be sure to purchase spray paint that can hold up to the intended usage. Take into account the usage of your plastic object when getting paints. If your intended object is for outdoor use, ensure that you get a spray paint that is UV durable and is moisture resistant. Check the instructions of the spray can to see if the paint can bond well with plastic. Choosing spray paints that are specifically made to adhere to plastic objects helps produce the best results.
• Moisture ResistanceMoisture resistance is a plus point to have in spray paints, regardless of whether the object is kept indoors or outdoors. Some paints can be sensitive to humidity, this means that the probability of getting damaged, even without direct contact with water, is high. Paints that are not moisture resistant tend to smudge easily even with light touches. It is better to play safe and invest in moisture-resistant paints.
• Mixture Quality:A major concern when buying cheaper spray paints is getting mixtures that are poorly made. If the paint formula is too thick, you end up with a clogged nozzle, which can become frustrating Tip: A good way of dealing with clogged nozzles is to clean the nozzle with mineral water. You can also try holding the can upside down to allow the clog to clear itself. Another tip to reduce the chances of a clogged nozzle is to shake the paint can before use. Spray paint nozzles also clog up when the paint is past its expiry date. Spray paints also tend to dry up once they expire. So be sure to double-check the expiry date when shopping for spray paints.
• Cure Time:It is helpful to purchase brands that have a faster drying rate. Though, you should also keep in mind that cure time varies from surface to surface. Cure time can be increased by putting the object in high heat, but we highly advise against this as some materials like plastic can melt in high heat. Some paints can also be flammable, make sure to read the instructions on your spray paint can.
• Can Quality:As mentioned above, spray paint nozzles tend to get clogged easily. Clogged nozzles can affect space coverage and might lead to uneven distribution of paint onto the surface. It is important to check the quality of the can when purchasing paints to ensure the best results and to avoid any inconvenience.
• Additional Tip for Improving Paint Results:Spray paints for plastic work better in the temperature ranges that are mentioned on the can label, usually this temperature range lies between 50 to 70 degrees.
Exclusively made for plastic, the Rust-Oleum 211338 is our top pick for spray-painting plastics. Not only is it adhesive to plastic surfaces, but it also dries up quickly, leaving behind a smooth finish.
The Rust-Oleum 267116 is also a good second option as it comes with a wide range of colors to choose from. The Krylon Camouflage paint is also a good choice given its reasonable pricing and its interesting range of colors. It provides the best value at a low price. Krylon K08970000 SUPERMAXX is great for rust protection but is a risky product to purchase given the quality-control issue.
We hope our review and buyer’s guide has you well-equipped with all the know-how required to buy the right spray paint for plastics. We can say with confidence that with this information your next shopping trip for spray paints, be it online or offline, will go on without a hitch.